Saturday, April 29, 2006

I spent my day at the cemetery, and you?

I think I already mentioned that here in Moldova, people celebrate Easter a week later than us American Protestants do. So, last Sunday, I got up at 2:30 AM, and got dressed up. At 3:00 AM, I met up with a neighboring family, and we all crammed into their car for the short trip to the local Orthodox church. There, they, along with the rest of the village, lined up around the outside of the church, and laid out on the ground, the food that they were to eat as their Easter feast later in the day. Then, I went inside the church with my neighbor, and we observed the Easter service, that includes lots of singing, chanting, and crossing oneself. It was actually very interesting. At about 5:30 AM, the service part was over, and everybody rushed outside to where their food had been laid out. People were lined up all around the church courtyard, and they waited while the priest made his way around and blessed all the food with holy water. After this, we all headed home to begin the Easter feast. I guess they usually eat some of the blessed food after they get home from church, and then take a nap (as most of them have been there all night long, from midnight till six. I was a lightweight, and could only handle 3AM to 6AM). After a nap, everybody starts eating again, and that lasts all day. Well, that was last Sunday. However, approximately a week after Easter (today for my host mom's village), everybody heads to the cemetery where their family and loved ones are buried. There, they set out food, yet again, flowers, and other religiously symbolic articles, on the gravesites of their loved ones. Then, the priest arrives, and circles the graveyard several times. After a few general rounds of the graveyard, he circles once more, but makes an individual stop at each and every gravesite, and blesses the grave, the relatives waiting there, and the food set out. It's pretty interesting. I went with my host mom, her daughter, son-in-law, and two grandkids. It was actually a very pretty day, although a bit chilly. I guess last year it rained, so having a dry, albeit windy, day, was a welcome relief. The pictures I have posted are in order from top to bottom: My host mom, Eugenia, and if you look closely you can see the grave of her husband in the background; a picture of Eugenia, her daughter Loretta, and Loretta's husband Vitali, and two children, Doina and Vlad, at the gravesite of Eugenia's deceased husband, Grisa; The last picture is of Eugenia and Doina beautifying the gravesite before the priest shows up. All in all, it was a very interesting day, and I saw some very interesting customs, some of which were explained, and some of which nobody quite knew why they did them, but they did them anyway. Then, we went back to the house, and ate a lot of food, which is always happening here in Moldova. Now, we're resting up for a few hours, so we can go back and eat some more food. So, if you'll excuse me, I've got to get a nap in. Life is rough. Gotta go!  Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home