Monday, April 16, 2007

Memorials, and Dead Days

This April, marked the second year of the passing of my host mother's husband, Grisha. He died several months before I arrived in Moldova, and for at least three years afterwards, his anniversary must be marked with a huge feast. This feast is called the Praznic. This year, about 25 people showed up for the praznic, and it was not nearly as long or exhausting as I expected it to be. I had fun chatting it up with people, and laughing a bit. Everybody here is so friendly, and curious about life in the States. These masas, or feasts, have so much food that it could feed an army for a week. So, host mom and I are still eating leftovers. What are some of the traditional foods that were served there? -Sarmale: cabbage and/or grape leaves stuffed with rice, carrots, meat, and spices. -Parjoale: fried meat patties (these were made out of pork meat, from one of our pigs that was butchered just for the occasion) -Slanini: it's somewhat like bacon-a little pork meat with a lot of fat -Carnats: different types of cold cut meats-mostly salami, turkey, and pork -Spiced carrots: I love these! -Salted and/or smoked fish -Fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and goat cheese -Ruskii salata: Russian salad-cubed potatoes, carrots, eggs, ham and then peas, onions and lots of mayonaise. Very similar to our potato salads. -Tort: homemade cake-this one had an almost butercream filling, and a chocolate icing. Very delicious! -Placinta: A flaky pastry filled with one of a variety of things: cherries, apples, cheese, potatoes, cabbage, or meat -Olives -Smoked prunes in prune juice There were tons of other dishes there too, but I can't remember them all. All of it was delicious! I'm going to miss Moldovan food when I get back to the States. Today, I met up with a fellow volunteer from Balti, and we went to the local cemetery for the "Easter of the Dead". I explained what it is in last year's entry, but here's a summary. Every year, about a week after Easter, relatives go to the local cemetery to clean it up, and prepare the gravesites of their loved ones for this day. On the Pastele Blazinelor (Easter of the Dead), families put together picnic baskets with food, and head over to the cemetery in their nicest clothes. There they await the priest, who, after circling the cemetery three times, makes a stop at each gravesite to bless the dead, and the food of those who have come. Afterwards, everybody has a picnic at the cemetery, and walks around sharing wine and food with others "in honor of the deceased souls of loved ones". It was somewhat like Halloween where people kept brining me gifts in remembrance of loved ones. I had to have a bag in order to carry it all back. Some of the things I received (besides becoming a bit tipsy from all the wine I had to drink in remembrance of the dead loved ones. That's a lot of dead people!!): -dish towels -a huge Easter bread (looks like a giant cupcake) -candles -coffee cups -handkerchiefs -colac (braided wreaths of bread) -candy -cookies -socks -matches -oh and did I mention the wine? -and the food I ate with my counterpart and her family (more delicious traditional Moldovan goodness!)
Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger Kenneth said...

Anna! This blog made me hungry!

ps- I love seeing the pictures!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home