Saturday, March 24, 2007

New Year's Eve, we went to a Victoria Falls party, at a local boat club. Jess later told me that in her head, she envisioned the party being a very authentic, African experience where local native Zimbabweans would be singing traditional songs, and dancing traditional dances around a huge bonfire. Sounded great to me, and much more to my liking. In reality, the party consisted of a LOT of foreign turists all looking for somewhere to party for New Years. I guess it was fun, but parties have never really been my thing. It gave me a great chance to catch up on life with Becky though. That was the hilight of the party for me!! :) One of our final days in Victoria Falls, we sucked it up (I only sucked it up after much persuasion from Jess and Becky that I would regret it for the rest of the my life if I didn't), payed the $20 (that's US Dollars!!! Coming from Zimbabwe OR Moldova, that's a LOT of money!!!!! That's where the "sucking it up" part came in) entrance fee for Americans, and went into the Victoria Falls National Park. It was very beautiful, and ALSO VERY WET!!!!! Zimbabwe has yet to worry about things like law suits from falling turists who get too close to the edge, and so, their only real safety barriers were little signs like the one we're all standing behind (or beyond, should I say) that say "Don't go beyond this point. It's slippery when wet". It was hard to get a really accurate picture of how awe-inspiring these Falls are for several reasons: 1) they are somewhat spread out, and so a camera lens can't take the entirety in in one shot, and 2) they are so powerful that they throw up quite a cloud of eternal mist. You can see the mist from the Falls from miles away!! But, take my word for it: They are amazing! Me and David Livingston, who was the first Westerner to discover Victoria Falls. Yea, we're on a first name basis, Dave and I.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home