Friday, January 20, 2006

That's One Ugly Chicken!

This is a pretty typical Moldovan village sight. Well, the chickens and all the dried corn are. But take a look at that chicken in the front and to the left. That has got to be one of the ugliest chickens I've ever seen!!! I wish you could see him better (I guess he's a rooster, not a chicken if you want me to be specific, but regardless, he's ugly). He has no feathers from the bottom of his neck up, and an ugly little head. Poor thing. I wouldn't even want to eat him! The chickens are standing on tons of dried corn on cobs. Moldovans store up this corn for the winter when they feed it to the chickens and livestock. And they store up a lot of it! Yesterday, my host mom said she was going to kill a chicken for dinner. And sure enough, when I came home from work, there was a dead, plucked chicken body in one bowl, and a chicken head and feet in another bowl. The Moldvans eat almost every part of the chicken, including the feet,head, and the brain. They clean every bone completely, fat, skin and all. Can you imagine getting a nice steaming bowl of savory aromatic chicken soup after a cold day at work, and suddenly seeing a chicken head peering up at you from the soup bowl? Well, I can! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home